Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Holiday Knitting... Really?


I got sucked into a sweater from the winter issue of Interweave Knits (okay, honestly, there are several that I'm totally ready to be sucked into). I thought the Aspinwall Pullover would be so nice for Matt. So I went stash diving and cast on.

If you notice, mine looks a wee bit differently... I stoped the half brioche stitch after 3" (the pattern does it up to the fair isle band). There are two reasons I made the change:

The half brioche stitch in the round is slow and annoying... it took me two days just to do those three inches and I want this done for Matt for Christmas.

Plus the stitch biases horribly when worked in the round (does that show in my photo?). I can't imagine how bad the bias would be if I had done the entire lower body in the stitch.

Here's my suggestion if you plan on doing this sweater: do the lower half flat, seam it, then work the rest of the sweater in the round as written. The half brioche stitch is easier to work flat (k2tog is easier than p2tog, at least for me) and it wouldn't bias.

However, I think this is fine (even if I do like the style of the original design better). The miles of st. st. went pretty quickly (okay, it wasn't miles... Matt isn't exactly long waisted) and the fair isle section was a great goal.


Today I'll get the first sleeve cast on (sadly the fair isle section is in the beginning... then it's miles of st. st. in the round again). I should have no problem getting this done in time for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.