Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Newport Cardigan

Newport Cardigan
click to enlarge

It's done, and fits my dress form beautifully! Me? Not so much. The sleeves are too tight (shocking) so it doesn't sit on my shoulders right (it pulls it down). I'm not sure adding more ribbing would help... it might give me more fabric to help sit on my shoulders. The best solution would be to lose 15 lbs. Especially in the upper arms. I also may try to block open the sleeves a bit. Let's do some project stats:

Pattern: Newport Cardigan by Dolce Handknits
Yarn: RYC Soft Tweed
Problems with the pattern: none that I found
Changes to the pattern: none that I remember.
Overall Impressions: A fast, easy, yet stylish knit. The sleeves issue is very consistant with me, especially with the current fashion trend of skinny sleeves. I will say that the yarn is absolutely wonderful. It's light, yet not flimsy. It has a great drape and just a little sheen. So apart from the poor fit, it was a good project. I will try to block it open just a bit more in the sleeves, and if that doesn't work, I will find it a good home.

So one more off my list. I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't fit, but it happens. I'll move on to the next project. I am concerned about the Cindy Must Knit This Cardigan. The sleeves on that pattern are also very tight, and even with my upsizing, I'm not sure I'll have enough ease. Hmmm, maybe set in sleeves are not the way to go for me?

Tomorrow I'll have pictures of the project that came out of the UFO closet to be restarted after a trip to Stitches... can ya guess what it is????

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:27 PM

    How do you modify to make the sleeves larger? Would perhaps knitting the next size larger sleeve work and you could decrease more below the elbow if you don't need the room there? Is the armhole too tight as well?

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:37 PM

    Another thought ... would adding an underarm gusset give you the extra room you need? This would also give a little more room in the bust area which you might like. I think you can probably find directions for how to do this if you don't know in any of Beth Brown Reinsel's gansy patterns.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.