Sunday, March 15, 2009

uh... Yay?


A completed pair of socks. I guess I should do project stats?

Pattern: Charade Socks by Sandra Park (no relation... most likely). Oh, and that's a Ravelry link, btw.

Yarn: Socks that Rock by Blue Moon Fiber, Puck's Mischief maybe? love in Idleness.

Changes to the pattern: afterthought heel (it's the only heel that I like... doesn't change the color pooling, and I like the way it fits better than a heel flap)

Overall Impressions: Love the pattern... it's the kind of sock knitting that could convert me to being a sock knitter: easy without being boring. Perfect for with the hand dyed yarns. The yarn is okay. At least this colorway didn't pool (which I can't say for my County Clare colorway... it's an UGH for socks). I don't think I love the STR line of sock yarn. It's a little thick (even tho' it's the lightweight sock yarn) and I've had a lot of issues with pooling for most of the colors that I've tried.

I used the Knitpicks metal dpn's, and that made a huge difference. Might be an other contributing factor for me to knit socks. I don't like to knit with wooden needles, and I enjoyed using the Knitpicks.

I still think the biggest drawback for me and sock knitting is the wearing aspect. While I have wide/short feet (they go with the rest of my body), I really prefer good ol' cotton socks (I buy boys socks... women's socks are simply too big and girl sizes too narrow).

Here's a close up of the pattern stitch and my afterthought heel (which I can't recommend enough... no funky color changes at the heel/foot area). Oh, and a fairly decent color representation:



Ya, so that was a nice distraction. I have been knitting on other things, but just a little here and there with not a lot of progress on anything. I'm in a video game cycle right now, as I just don't seem to have good knitting mojo. I'll update project progress later this week.

1 comment:

  1. They are beautiful! :-) Congrats

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.