Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Lateralis


Lateralis is finished. Let's do a quick review of the project, then I'll do actual project stats.

The cardigan was inspired by the Elann Summer Sampler Packs (one pack in greens and one pack in neutruals). I wanted something similar to the Sitcom Chic/Eyelet Cardigan, but as I was doing the math, I didn't get quite the fit I had hoped for. I used the Random Stripe Generator to create the striping, basing my numbers sequence on the Fibonacci sequence. I think it's a bit of a mixed result, but we'll see how much I wear it over the summer before I jump to conclusions that it doesn't fit me well.

Project Stats:

Pattern: none, simple top down raglan using my own math

Yarn: Summer Sampler Packs from Elann (the greens and the neutrals).

Problems with the pattern: uh, I suck at math. The other problem is that I wanted a slim fitting summer cardigan. I simply can't do that with a stripe pattern. I couldn't short row bust darts, so I feel like I don't have a flattering fit. The neck ended up being bigger than I wanted (but I sort of gathered it in when I did the neckband).

Overall impressions: Right now I feel it looks frumpy on me (again, to compensate for my "I" cups, I had to make it bigger than I wanted, and even adding the waist shaping didn't help much. The scoop neck isn't as flattering on me as I had hoped (that might change with the right tee shirt under it). I love the colors and the striping. I loved working with the yarns and quite frankly, it was delightful to knit (if you forget about all those ends to weave in). We'll see how I feel as I wear it over the summer. Might just be my mood this morning (that's happened before).


So I'm holding off my final opinion. I love these sampler packs from Elann, and I do think this was a great project for the yarns. I would easily do this project again, with some tweaking. I would limit Random Stripe generator to only up to 8 rows (the 13 seem dominate to me in the sweater) and I would seperate the yarns into just lights/darks of each color. I have A LOT of yarn left over, but I didn't get to balance my usage as much as I would've liked.

So it was fun to knit and plan... we'll just have to see if it's fun to wear!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:07 PM

    I like the larger stripes. They give your eyes a place to rest when looking at allover stripes. Lovely sweater.
    MarilynB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you have "hidden" the needed short rows within the wider stripes? It's an attractive sweater.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.