Friday, January 25, 2008

Not the way to start the year

So my first project for the year is done... Beatrice is still a little damp, but I wanted to see how it looked on.
Beatrice
click to enlarge... like it needs it

First, I can't imagine what this would look like if I hadn't shortened the raglan shaping. I think the armhole opening would have been somewhere around my waist. Even tho' I blocked it flat, the sweater grew in length quite a bit. Not a good look for me (it makes me a little more pear shaped than I actually am). It will be nice around the house, but I'm a bit disappointed. I'm not sure if it's the right design for my body. I debated on waist shaping, and I may have needed it. Anyway, let's go over the stats.

Beatrice
Pattern: Top Down Pullover #9724 by Knitting Pure and Simple
Yarn: Classic Elite's Beatrice in color "Monet's Pond"
Changes to the pattern: I used a ribbing around the neck and wrist band. I shorted the raglan shaping by about 2".
Problems with the pattern: I didn't find any mistakes in the pattern. I would say that the larger sizes have a design flaw in that the armhole depth is simply too deep to get to the circumfrance.
Overall impressions: Right now I'm disappointed. I don't like how it looks on me. Now, in complete self honesty, it might be a "body" issue. The fabric is beautiful, the yarn looks great in the simple st. st. pattern. I will say the yarn can be a challenge to knit with. It's a three ply yarn that seperates very very easily, so pointy needles might not be the best choice. I'll probably get useage out of the sweater, but it's not what I had in mind.

So I think there may have been some bad decisions on this. I might want to avoid this heavy of a yarn. I might need a more tailored style. I might need to lose a few more pounds...

Not the most satisfying project to start off the year with. I'm thinking there's a reason I've started remaking projects that I'm happy with. Once I've made something that works, it's easier to make it again.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:39 PM

    Hmmm. Okay, here is my off the cuff thought. Can you reknit the neck? If you tightened up the collar, would it snug up the sweater a bit?

    I think it looks great, but the neck looks a bit stretched out.

    I don't think you need to loose weight....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since it's top down, have you thought about shortening it a little? It looks from the photo like it might be too long for you.

    I finished my Gravel Road Cardigan but I haven't been brave enough to try it on after blocking yet. It was way too small before, but so was my FLAK. My knitting seems to 'relax' quite a bit with washing.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.