click to enlarge... like it needs it
First, I can't imagine what this would look like if I hadn't shortened the raglan shaping. I think the armhole opening would have been somewhere around my waist. Even tho' I blocked it flat, the sweater grew in length quite a bit. Not a good look for me (it makes me a little more pear shaped than I actually am). It will be nice around the house, but I'm a bit disappointed. I'm not sure if it's the right design for my body. I debated on waist shaping, and I may have needed it. Anyway, let's go over the stats.
Pattern: Top Down Pullover #9724 by Knitting Pure and Simple
Yarn: Classic Elite's Beatrice in color "Monet's Pond"
Changes to the pattern: I used a ribbing around the neck and wrist band. I shorted the raglan shaping by about 2".
Problems with the pattern: I didn't find any mistakes in the pattern. I would say that the larger sizes have a design flaw in that the armhole depth is simply too deep to get to the circumfrance.
Overall impressions: Right now I'm disappointed. I don't like how it looks on me. Now, in complete self honesty, it might be a "body" issue. The fabric is beautiful, the yarn looks great in the simple st. st. pattern. I will say the yarn can be a challenge to knit with. It's a three ply yarn that seperates very very easily, so pointy needles might not be the best choice. I'll probably get useage out of the sweater, but it's not what I had in mind.
So I think there may have been some bad decisions on this. I might want to avoid this heavy of a yarn. I might need a more tailored style. I might need to lose a few more pounds...
Not the most satisfying project to start off the year with. I'm thinking there's a reason I've started remaking projects that I'm happy with. Once I've made something that works, it's easier to make it again.