Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Mermaid

Mermaid
click to enlarge

So it's done... and I think I had unrealistic expectations on this project. I guess I had hoped that it would make me look about 4" taller and 40lbs thinner. Oh well, I don't think that sweater is out there (but I keep trying).

Mermaid front
click to enlarge


I have to say it was actually a pretty fun knit... once you get into a rhythm. The garter stitch is nicely broken up with all the short rows and the color striping. I have no desire to knit it again, but I know this will be lovely cardigan and I'll probably get a lot of wear out of it again.

Mermaid back
click to enlarge

Project Stats:

Pattern: Mermaid by Hanne Falkenberg

Yarn: bought as a kit (actually Matt bought it for me as a gift)

Changes to the pattern: None

Problems with the pattern: typical translated pattern issue. You also must read the instructions before you knit, as there's a lot of "At the same" directions (not my forte'). A spreadsheet is available to help with row by row directions... and it's a good idea to get it.

General impressions: I'm fairly pleased. I still think it's a little short. I was afraid that it was going to be too long (as I've seen other's complain about how long the sleeves are). Considering my 5'2" frame, it being too short is a bonus (tho' I did have to wet block and steam block it to get it the proper length). I do think the side to side garter stitch will grow with time, but hopefully not too much more.

Tomorrow, I'll have some updates on afghans, WIPs and new projects.

4 comments:

  1. You are cranking out so many gorgeous projects. These 2 latest are really flattering on you. Doesn't it feel good to finish projects and actually wear them? (Well, once it ccols down.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cindy! I think it's amazing! It's going to be such a beautiful fall garment-- it could be dressy like a blazer or casual like a cardigan. Fantastic. Not to gush, but I think if you walked around looking at your own rear view all day you'd be very impressed. The short rows and color changes are very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you'd want that any longer and it might grow a bit anyway. I always liked that sweater. You knit so fast it amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out beautifully. Wouldnt it be great if we could knit sweaters that made us taller and slimmer too, I know I need the last bit.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.