Saturday, December 08, 2012

FO: Seamless Hybrid

Okay, this is going to be a long one. Lots of photos, lots of ramblings! All for what is actually a fairly simple project that wasn't so simple.


Matt's Christmas project is done (and already being worn. Ya, we're not really good at the whole "wait 'til Christmas" thing... however, I might snag it back and wrap it for under the tree. If I can get it off him).

This project was a lot more work than I expected, but so incredibly worth it. For many reasons. I learned a great deal about my own knitting skills (in a really good way), remembered that I can not do story problems and that I love working with the Kathmandu yarns (just not for seaming).


So a quick summery: I knew I wanted to make Elizabeth Zimmermann's Seamless Hybrid with a Shirt Yoke as a cardigan. I also knew I wanted to do the body with a textured stitch and work it flat. I did all these things, but I also discovered that I can not follow an Elizabeth Zimmermann pattern for the life of me. I found her directions confusing, all out of order, full of little sidebars with numbers that I could not find a reference to where she got them.

This means I learned a great deal about my own knitting skills. I now know that I can knit a sweater without a pattern. Her math didn't work for me, so I ended up on my own. The only reason I'm even still calling this Seamless Hybrid with a Shirt Yoke sweater is because it definitely is inspired by the pattern.


I absolutely love the look of this style. Looks great on Matt and I know I'll be doing more of them. I really wanted to make this as a field jacket, with globs of pockets, but after some set backs, and the realization that this yarn is a little too soft to be able to handle the wear and tear that pockets would require, I think we'll just keep the pocket on the sleeve. I'll probably make an other in a heavier/studier yarn (with more ease) with globs of pockets.


On of my favorite things I did (apart from that little pocket on the sleeve) is use an attached I-cord for the zipper. Of course it took me way longer to do it than I expected, but I have to say, well worth the work. One of the smoothest zipper installations I've done (and it lays flat! whoot!).

So let's go over the project stats!!

Pattern: based on the Seamless Hybrid Sweater with Shirt Yoke by Elizabeth Zimmermann

Yarn: Queensland Collection Kathmandu DK

Changes to the pattern: since I couldn't decipher the pattern, and the percentages given in the pattern didn't give me the sizing I wanted, we're calling this inspired by anyway. However, some major changes from the pattern: I did the body in garter rib, worked the sweater flat(no steeking!) and added the pocket to the sleeve (initial plan was to do breast pockets and front pockets as well). I did an attached I-cord for the zipper opening (and this might become Standard Operating Procedure).

Problems with the pattern: I think I've been very vocal on my inability to follow the pattern. There really isn't an actual pattern, just her describing what she did, some general math/percentages and it's all embedded in her prose. Simply not my forte (it's a bit like working a story problem). I think knitters fall into two categories: the emperical (math/engineer types) and the "let's throw a sweater together" type. I'm pretty sure I fall into the later (especially since I went to an art college that didn't even look at my math SAT scores).

Overall impressions: Okay, there was a lot of whining during the construction of this project. While the pattern frustrated me, this ended up being a fabulous project for me to knit. I feel so much more comfortable changing patterns to suit my gauge, body, yarn, etc. So while it knocked down some of my confidence, it built it up in other areas. I love the finished project. So does Matt (and that's always the goal). More will be knit!

Now that my Christmas gift project is done, I am knitting something for me! In color! I'm hoping to have a new pair of gloves by Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    I also struggled with the instructions on this one. In fact, I did actually have some tears in my eyes at one point, so it sure wasn't 'Knitting without Tears'!

    I wish I had bought 'The Opionated Knitter' first. It has EZ's original one-page newsletters. The instructions are much easier to follow than the prose style in KWT.

    In any case, your cardigan looks wonderful. Very manly and handsome.

    Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.