click to enlarge
Overall, I'm going to give it a thumbs up. The only thing I'm not completely happy with is the size I choose. I made the 43", but I should've dropped down, since I added bust darts. It's a little big in the shoulders (not bad in the photo, but as I wear it, it tends to move around a lot on me). However, it's a very minor thing, and I'm not disappointed in the project at all.
Pattern: Surplice Lace Top by Gayle Bunn (Nashua Handknits Designer Collection #4)
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Cherry Moon (photo is a little washed out, much prettier in person)
Changes to the pattern: added bust darts and lengthened the body a little
Problems with the pattern: none that I remember
General comments: I did end up doing the pattern as written, in that I made the lace panels and top section seperately. I figured that it would be easier to fix if my bust darts didn't work out. To make seaming the top to the bottom easier, I used a crochet cast on for the top pieces. Basically I had crochet edge seams, which are a piece of cake to whip stitch together. As I stated earlier, I do wish I had dropped down one size, as it's a little big thru the shoulders, but that certainly doesn't keep this from being a thumbs up project.
I also got photos of my Mermaid, but I'm going to do a seperate blog entry for that later.