Monday, July 07, 2008

Surplice Lace Top

Surplice Lace Top
click to enlarge

Overall, I'm going to give it a thumbs up. The only thing I'm not completely happy with is the size I choose. I made the 43", but I should've dropped down, since I added bust darts. It's a little big in the shoulders (not bad in the photo, but as I wear it, it tends to move around a lot on me). However, it's a very minor thing, and I'm not disappointed in the project at all.

Project Stats:

Pattern: Surplice Lace Top by Gayle Bunn (Nashua Handknits Designer Collection #4)

Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Cherry Moon (photo is a little washed out, much prettier in person)

Changes to the pattern: added bust darts and lengthened the body a little

Problems with the pattern: none that I remember

General comments: I did end up doing the pattern as written, in that I made the lace panels and top section seperately. I figured that it would be easier to fix if my bust darts didn't work out. To make seaming the top to the bottom easier, I used a crochet cast on for the top pieces. Basically I had crochet edge seams, which are a piece of cake to whip stitch together. As I stated earlier, I do wish I had dropped down one size, as it's a little big thru the shoulders, but that certainly doesn't keep this from being a thumbs up project.

I also got photos of my Mermaid, but I'm going to do a seperate blog entry for that later.

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I'm glad it fits you, even though I would have loved to steal this one! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:21 PM

    It looks very good on you. You have a right to be proud of it. One suggestion ... would running a right row of crochet chain stitch along the back neckline help keep the shoulders in place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks terrific on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty. I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful on you. What a fantastic job you did on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been debating CO for this for a year! Your photo did it. You're about my size and I *always* have to add bust darts. I think I'll try to knit the whole thing in one piece, but will take your note and CO for the neck edging. thanks loads!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.