Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Soup's On!

It's definitely fall: I'm working on afghans and thinking soup.

I have to say that I'm a huge fan of soups. For many reasons. I can sneak more vegetables into my diet (always good). They're warm, comforting and easy to make. Plus they freeze well so that's one less dinner I'll have to make down the road.

So I went on a little cookbook shopping spree. I needed a little inspiration to expand my standard soups. Here's a quick run down (remembering that I have yet to actually try any of the recipes). All links will take you to Amazon.

My favorite of the group so far is Enlightened Soups. I like the presentation of the recipes. The intro is full of great ideas on the basics, what to stock and other generalizations. Probably will try something out of this one first.


Love Soup is a vegetarian soup cookbook. If focuses on seasonal/fresh ingredients. I think this one is going to be worth it just for the fab sounding vegetarian broths in the beginning. (while Matt and I are not vegetarian, we are not "full time" meat eaters). The Basic Dark Vegetable Broth sounds like a good basic stock.



I also got Saved By Soup. This book is also very nicely laid out with great photos. Also looks very promising. The dessert soups especially (I'm a big fan of fruit soups in the summer... and Summer Fruit "Minestrone" will definitely be given a try in season).

Meanwhile, I'm sort of in a sweater funk right now, so I'm working on some afghans. One is a crochet hexagon afghan. Not as much fun as granny squares, but I'm attaching as I go (and weaving in ends as I go) so this will be done when I'm done with the last hexagon. The other afghan is also crocheted in a simple teardrop pattern (worked length-wise). I'll get some photos later today (as both will need to be added to Ravelry!). Good projects for the playoffs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.