Tuesday, October 08, 2013

The Sleeve Sized (and Shaped) Swatches

The Whitfield Jacket is going to be a bit of a color challenge. I "swatched" the first sleeve by just grabbing two skeins at random, and the colors worked beautifully. I then grabbed two more for the second sleeve... and the colors were soooo very different.

I'm going to have to randomize the yarn a lot more (I'll probably switch skeins every 4" or so) to spread out the variances. It just happened that the first two skeins I grabbed were very similar, and the colors are very muted.

At this point, I think it will still be fine. If I get to the body and find that the light, muted color sleeve is too different than the rest of the jacket, I'll frog it and re-knit it (advantage of it only taking a day to knit... a lot less painful to frog if need be).

I loooove the stitch pattern. I love the resulting fabric and the yarn is perfect. I'm glad I got the non-superwash wool, as I do plan on switching out skeins often, and being able to spit splice is very very handy.

The yardage might be estimated a little high, as I these sleeves only took maybe a little more than 2.5 skeins. I know that the pockets will eat up some yarn, but looking at how much I have left, I'm hoping that I don't need all of it (I have two skeins that seem very different than the rest... and they'll be hard to work in).


As of right now, I feel this is going to go quickly. I hope to have it done before all the leaves have turned and Matt can model it while we still have beautiful fall colors (as it's definitely a fall jacket!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.