Monday, October 07, 2013

A Good Day to Dye

Since I had the house to myself this past weekend, I figured it was a good time to make a mess.

Let's cook up some yarn!

I have to say that I love dyeing with food coloring. Specifically with Wilton's gel. A lot of the colors break and they never dye the way I expect them to.

This time was no exception.

When I showed Matt the Whitfield Jacket pattern, he was like "I would totally wear that". Well, how can I not make it?

So I bought the pattern and the yarn hunt was on. I checked out the finished versions on Ravelry to see what other had chosen for yarn. I couldn't use stash yarn, as I don't usually hoard stockpile buy a lot of bulky weight yarn, especially in the amount needed for this jacket.

I looked at solids as an option, but I have to say that I really preferred the stitch pattern in a multi colored yarn. I then started looking at hand dyed yarns, but due to the amount of yardage needed, I knew I would have to do a special order. Plus hand dyed yarns become very pricey very quickly (note the large yardage needed) due to the amount of work involved in hand dyeing.

So I ordered 12 skeins of Knitpicks Wool of the Andes Bulky (I really like spit splicing, so didn't get the superwash). Grabbed a tub of Wilton Icing Coloring in Juniper Green and crossed my fingers.

My biggest concern was evenly distributing the color over 12 skeins, as I would have to do them in batches. I tried a "spray" technique to start, but that was a failure. Back to the good ol' stovetop method. I ended up with three batches and I think they're evenly enough dyed that they'll work.


The color did not come out as I expected at all. As you can see, there's a lot of tan with spots of sage green and a darker (juniper-ish) green. In fact, it's perfect. The colors almost have a camouflage feel.

Took almost all weekend for the yarn to dry (oh ya, 164 yds of bulky weight yarn) and I'm currently "swatching" a sleeve to see how the colors are going to pool (so far so good. I'll get a photo up as soon as I have both "sleeve swatches" done to compare).

I love the pattern stitch, it's my kind of knitting and using a size 10 needle with bulky yarn makes quick work (which is good, as I think there's like 27 pockets or something).

I love it so much that I'm already planning on doing the same thing to make Jackie for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.