Saturday, May 09, 2009

I really don't need an other hobby...

I spent this morning playing around with some Wilton food coloring and some yarn from Knit Picks. This could be dangerous (and I might have to actually learn what I'm doing).

The photos never quite capture the true essence of the colors, but it's the best I can do.

First up: some wool/alpaca/nylong fingering weight. Two skeins will make a nice sized shawl:


Next up is the same yarn, but in blues:


The fun thing about this one is that I only used one color. The dye seperated in the pot to give me the variation (which I couldn't have done if I had tried, right?)

This one is still drying, as I ended up throwing it back into the dye pot. It's a wool silk blend fingering weight. It didn't come out anything as I had planned. Before the second dip, the colors were very muddy. (the photo is a little washed out, as it's outside in the sun).

The color ended up being a very gothic dark red. Again... will make a lovely shawl (I hope... have no idea about how any of these will knit up).

I really have been enjoying the process of dyeing. Matt doesn't love the smell (so I did it while he was racing this weekend). Just need to get some knitting done now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.