Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Girlz in da Hood

Ya, the hood for Cassidy is progressing... slowly. I knew it was going to take longer than expected, so I'm not surprised that I'm only at the halfway point on it. I still hope to have the whole thing done by the end of the week.

I'm a little concerned about fit now that it's partially seamed up (okay, I only seamed the shoulders so I could do the hood and the button band, then I'll add the sleeves). It's going to be a snug fit. I might try blocking it a bit bigger (it is ribbbed, so there is room to open it up a bit). My weight has exploded over the last 6 months (ya, even the doctor was impressed!) so there's a lot of projects that I'm going to run into this with. Hopefully it's a temporary issue and I get back on track.

Nancy asked about the softness of the Kathmandu Aran in my comments yesterday. Let me say that it's soft... very soft. It's Matt's favorite yarn (and he's very picky). It is almost too soft, as it will not give you great body. His Kathmandu Gansey wants to curl up in the back (from when he sits down) and the neckline on his Ike has stretched out (I've finally convinced him to not hand it from a peg, but fold it and lay it flat to store it). It's a lovely yarn, and the big cables on the CPH match it perfectly. I wouldn't use it for delicate cables, due to it's texture and nubbiness.

The unexpected snowfall and still freezing temps means I'm staying snuggled in under afghans with a cup o' tea and knittin' on da hood for Cassidy!!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:29 AM

    I feel your pain about the weight. I've done the same thing. In fact, I started Twist, and I'm thinking it's going to be frogged. I'll bet you'll gain some inches with blocking though. Next time, I'm going to block my body instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:58 AM

    Sorry about the change in size; I've experienced that, too. As an alternative to super-blocking, consider knitting a 1" strip to sew into each side. When you lose the weight, you can take out the strip. A lot of sewing, I know, but I sometimes like this better than over-blocking.

    Just an idea, it may not be right for your project....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the softness explanation. Thankfully someone else got the snow this time since we've had double this month over what we had last year here in SW PA. I'm ready for warmth and Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:48 AM

    I just finished Cassidy!! well, after a lot of fiddling! Ugh! first I made the sleeves too long so I had to operate on those ... then the hood, well, I hated it! so I frogged the button bands (which needed frogging anyways because I picked up too many stitches) .. then I knit up a really nice collar ... now it just needs a little steam on the button bands and collar and some buttons :) I must say, I do love it now :)
    Can't wait to see your's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:48 AM

    Oh and the weight thing ... I'm right there with ya :( I love Linda's suggestion! I may put that into use on an upcoming sweater or two seeing as I'd love to loose some of this weight one day ;)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.