Pattern: Light Worsted Weight Gansey by Silver Creek (S-806)
Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool in Natural
Problems with the pattern: I didn't find any mistakes in the pattern
Changes to the pattern: I did some minor changes. I shortened it a bit (um, I'm short). I made the 44" finished size, but I did the small sleeves so that my armhole depth was shorter. I also made the neckline a little deeper than the pattern (I hate crewneck sweaters that choke).
Other Details I used a tubular cast on and cast off. I think it works really well with the sleeve cuffs. I twisted the cabled stitches so they popped a little bit more.
Overall Impressions: Two thumbs up on this pattern! While I was disappointed that I couldn't use the yarn I originally bought for the pattern, the Paton's worked out well. (there will be an other conversation about this yarn later... new vs. old). The pattern was fun to knit. I love the way the finished results look. It's simply a great sweater.
So that means something else will get moved into the "main project" catagory. I'm thinking it will be something for Matt. I heard the "you haven't knit anything for me in a really long time" whine the other day (and he's right... I haven't finished a project for him since Christmas). I'll probably work on his Natural Beauty Fair Isle... as I pulled it out to compare the Paton's Classic Wool from a couple of years ago to the new balls I just bought to make the gansey... and quite franky, the yarn is different weight. That photo is no longer accurate, as I frogged it back to the fair isle section to redo the last the couple of rows.
I'll probably cycle thru some other projects as well, but I want that one to get done for Matt.