Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Very Cunning, Doncha Think

This project has been on my "To Do List" for some time. Then I was asked by a friend to knit him one. Two hats, one stone!

I was able to get both hats using just one skein of each color. Husband Matt didn't want the pom-pom, so there are some slight differences between the two hats.

I mish mashed a bunch of patterns to knit these and I did have to play with the ear flaps (first set were way too wide). The yarn is wonderful! and I'm pretty happy with the colors.

So let's do the project stats then globs of photos!

Pattern: improvised

Yarn: Valley Yarns Berkshire

Changes to the pattern: well, since I improvised, there is no pattern, so instead I'll give the difference between the two hats.

Husband Matt's version has a beanie style decrease, a slip stitch edge on the ear flaps and no pom-pom.

Friend Matt's version has a gathered decrease, a garter edge on the ear flaps and a pom-pom.

I used a 3 string braid for the ties (the original version has just the yarn hanging, but the Bershire is a single ply, so they would just fall apart over time). I did 3 rows of 1X1 ribbing,  before switching to st. st. The ear flaps were picked up and knit down.

Overall impressions: yay! I'm happy, Husband Matt loves the warmth/softness of the yarn (uh, wool/alpaca) and I know this will get used this winter to walk the dogs. Friend Matt's hasn't been received yet, but I'm hoping he's happy.

Let's do some photos!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.