Friday, September 20, 2013


This is the first finished sweater of 2013. Better than halfway thru September. This is not going to be a productive year for finished projects, that's for sure!

This yarn has been on quite a journey. I used it to knit Matt his first Patrick. A lovely design. A horribly written pattern. Totally the wrong yarn for the pattern as well. However, the color was stunning and expensive. So I frogged the entire sweater. Not an easy job with this yarn.

The yarn is a two ply aran/chunky weight. It was soft to begin with and broke fairly easily when I was knitting Patrick. I also washed and blocked Patrick several times before I frogged it. To say that the yarn was "delicate" while frogging is an understatement. Re-knitting it was a definite challenge for me (as I am a "tugger"... especially going from a knit to a purl, which is fairly important in Beau). There were lots of yarn breakage during construction. The yarn has zero give either, making it like knitting with a cotton (so my hands would get sore fairly quickly).

However, the gauge was spot on for Beau and I thought the design would look fab on Matt. Ya, I was right! It's a very warm nicely fitting sweater that is in an Actual Color! There has already been discussions on how we can modify the pattern as a cardigan for him (in an easy care yarn).

Project Stats:

Pattern: Beau by Kim Hargreaves (pattern can be found in Rowan's Vintage Knits)

Yarn: Beaverslide Fisherman's Weight 2 ply

Problems with the pattern: nothing that I noted.

Changes to the pattern: I reversed the knit/purl ribbings on the front so they mirror the back rather than duplicate. The collar is much shorter than the pattern directions, and therefore I only used 3 buttons. I also used a st. st. selvedge stitch and seamed up only half a stitch making the seams much less bulky.

Overall impressions: this is going to be made again (and maybe again). It's a very flattering fit on Matt (I think it's great for the inverted triangle body type. Really shows off the broad shoulders and narrow waist). The yarn is a great color, and while it was challenging to knit the recycled yarn, I'll seriously considering using the Beaverslide to make an other one. We're both giving it a thumbs up.

Now let's see if I can get something else done before the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.