Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Improvise!!

I gave up on the directions for the Seamless Hybrid Pullover With Shirt-Yoke Shoulder". I just don't get the directions. It's a bit like doing a story problem. Which, I sucked at. I can do math, if I have the formula, but not if I have to come up with it myself. For the life of me, I could not figure out where she got her "work for 44 rows" and there is no way that is a universal number that will work on every single sweater.

So this cardigan is now "inspired by the Seamless Hybrid Pullover With Shirt-Yoke Shoulder". I had to adjust some of her percentages anyway (if I had used her formula for sleeves, they would've been way too tight), so overall, I really ended up not using any of her directions (I even did my raglan decreases differently as well as the saddle sections).

However, I love the look of this shirt yoke shoulder thingy. I also feel a lot more confident about designing my own sweaters.  I like the process, and I can do basic math. Sometimes.

Meanwhile... the body is done. Now comes all the bells and whistles, and I have quite a few planned. I have a lot more yarn left than I expected and I am thrilled. My initial hope was to make a "field jacket" style cardigan with globs of pockets. I can now do that.  I plan on doing two breast pockets (with flaps?) and two huge front pockets. I'm also thinking of putting some pockets on the sleeves. Plus I have a little something planned for the back. The collar will be Matt's favorite: a fold over mock turtle neck style.

I still haven't quite decided how I want to do the front opening. Obviously, I'll be putting in a zipper, but I'm not sure how I want to finish the front. I could leave as is, do an attached I-cord or a row of single crochet. I'll think about that while I knit pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.