Friday, October 12, 2012

A Fix It Friday Failure

I know I was being overly optimistic on tea dyeing Matt's St. Patrick pullover. I just really didn't want to lose the beautiful heather color of the yarn. I was hoping that by tea dyeing (really staining) that I could even out the color variation without having to use toxic dyes (I am not set up for that level of dyeing. I've always used food grade dyes, so I didn't have to worry about using my kitchen equipment).

So I brewed a huge pot of strong tea (and yes, Matt was concerned about the store brand tea bags... until I told him that they were not for drinking). I soaked the sweater in water first, then dunked it into the vat, letting it sit for a while. Maybe not enough?

Rinsed, spin cycled in the washer (to removed excess water), laid out to dry. Ya, didn't work. The color banding is still very noticeable.

So either I try to over dye it with some Wilton food coloring or I've got to go buy a dye pot and some toxic dyes. I think we'll go greener (thinking of a nice rich forest green). Of course the color banding doesn't bother Matt at all, but then he's not the one who actually looks at it while he's wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.