Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stitch Slapped!


Sometimes I over think things. Aspinwall is a perfect example of over compensating.

The first Aspinwall (the navy heather version) was knit for Christmas last year. I had a horrible time getting into rhythm on the half brioche stitch in the round. I found it incredibly awkward to work and on top of that it was really biasing on me. So I only worked it for a few inches then switched to st. st. Matt loves this sweater (as a matter of fact, I was going to blog this yesterday, but he wore the sweater to work) and so I wanted to do an other in a different color combo, but closer to the original sweater.

The Aspinwall Revisited was approached with the issues from the first one in mind. Mainly, I decided to knit the lower section flat, then seam it. I had no issues with biasing and the stitch worked up quickly (k2tog is much easier for me than a p2tog). However, I got to the seaming and I realized that the st. st. side seams made the sides longer than the half brioche stitch. Hopefully, it will block more evenly. I figured it was a small price to pay for making the stitch easier to work and no-biasing.

I was dreading the sleeves, as I had a few inches of the half brioche cuff to do. Cast on... and it was a breeze. The stitch worked up quickly and it didn't bias at all.


So the question... did I do the first one incorrectly (good possibly. I might have misunderstood how to do the stitch) or is the single ply yarn a better choice for the stitch? Either way... my new knitting mantra: start with the sleeves! I can't believe how much easier this would've been if I had just started with a sleeve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.