Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Afghans in Summer

The A-Z Sampler Crochet afghan is almost done. I've completed the blocks and I've sewn them all together. Haven't woven in a single end yet. Plus I still need to do the border.

It's late July, with typical late July weather. Upper 80's (not bad... considering the mid 90's we've been dealing with) and high humidity. Yes, we do have central air and yes it is still on... but the idea of having that afghan on my lap to weave in ends and do a border... feels soooo wrong.

So while there's lots of advantages of doing sampler blocks for afghans in the summer (small, fast, and fun), there are a couple of disadvantages. Weather being a big one. Of course I could just wait until fall, but I want to get SOMETHING finished this year!

The other thing I'm not thrilled about with sampler afghans is the variety in density. You get this with both knit and crochet, but it always seems worse with crochet. I have some super dense blocks and other blocks that are very open and lacey. It's the nature of the beast, and some designers are better than others at the balance. This one isn't bad, but there are still some pretty large swings in density. Of course I try to offset them with placement (lacey next to dense) as much as I can. Overall, I know it'll be fine and I'm overly obessing right now.

I'm pretty happy with this project so far (and FYI: I did order 2 more skeins of the yarn, but it doesn't look like I'll need them. I can't tell you how many times I've done that!). It went SUPER fast. Hopefully will have it done tomorrow. Stay tuned for pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.