Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Last of the Year in Review

These are the last two projects that will be included in my year in review. I still have high hopes that I'll get the Dymphna Pullover done this year... but I certainly won't have time to get it in the review. Let's see what's left!

Asymemtrical Cardi


Quick summery: a simple asymetrical cardigan from Knitting Pure & Simple (hence the clever name).

Initial thoughts: I enjoyed knitting it, but due to my lovely body shape (full figured with narrow shoulders), and the loose gauge, the neckline is way too large. The yarn also works as a "felt board" and sticks to my turtlenecks.

Current thoughts: well, I've worn it and the sticking part is the biggest issue. My under layer needs to be slicker than I have. I'm sure if I could wear blouses, that would work, but the knit shirts just isn't slick enough. I know that the too open neckline is an easy fix, and I will do that... eventually!

Final thoughts: a great pattern and the yarn is lovely (even if it is sticky...). I'll absolutely knit this pattern again, as it was a pleasure to knit and I love the style.

Aspinwall Pullover


Quick summery: a beautiful pattern from the 2009 winter issue of Interweave Knits. Matt's Christmas sweater

Initial thoughts: Loved it! Apart from my having to change the pattern a bit (PSA: half brioche stitch in the round sucks!) for sanity/time issues, it's exactly what I wanted for Matt.

Current thoughts: Matt loves it too! He's been wearing it a lot. He says it's nice and warm. The style is very flattering on him (now that I have a decent camera, I need to get some better photos! Edit: new photo, best I can do with the time constraints I had). We both are thrilled.

Final thoughts: I am seriously considering an other one, completely different colors, but sticking closer to the original pattern style.

So, I think overall, it's been a successful year. I'm close to my goal of 24 projects (and yes time is running out). There were a couple of projects that I did spend a lot of time with that had some last minute issues and ate up a lot of time (the Gaelic Morning Mist has the body done before I realized that it wasn't going to fit. Julie and I finished up Babette, but there was some blocking issues so it's not really finished. oh... and then there was that whole Fallout 3 thing. I easily spent over 200 hours this year just on that alone... and it wasn't the only game I spent a lot of time with!)

I will not be doing a "volume" goal for 2010. I found that I avoided more complex projects just because I wanted to get stuff done. I haven't decided exactly what my goals will be, and with the Winter Olympics this coming year, I also will be doing a specific goal for that. I do know that there are 3 or 4 very specific projects that I would like to do. I'll decide before the end of the year, as I'll want a nice fresh start Jan 1!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:13 AM

    I don't remember seeing the asymmetrical cardi
    before. But I love it! It's a shame it's so sticky.
    You need a Teflon shirt :)
    Kate

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.