Friday, May 16, 2008

Maybe I Should Stick To Vests...

I'm concentrating on two projects right now: Mermaid (older photo, the body has been completed) and Cindy Must Knit This Cardigan. I'm at the sleeves on both. Both are having sleeve issues.

I decided to knit the medium of my Mermaid after trying it on at Stitches in the fall. The body seems to be fine (not yet blocked), but I'm able to try it on and it fits me fairly well (the boobage area is snug, but the styling of it doesn't really matter, and again, it's not blocked yet). However, I'm better than halfway on the first sleeve. It's freakishly small. It seems short and not very wide. Yes, I know the wool and garter stitch (side to side) is going to block, but I'm in a panic mode with it. Since the construction is side to side with short rows, I'm not sure if I can "fix" this one. So let's hope that I can block the krap out of it... if not, I'll have to do a gusset, as I'm not going to even try to mess around with the math for this one.

Now the sleeves on the Cindy Must Knit This Cardigan I knew I was going to have to do the math. Since the sleeves are set in style and I've changed gauge to upsize it, I knew that the sleeve caps were going to be an issue. My first attempt was to pretty much follow the directions (hoping that the gauge change was going to be enough). Um, it doesn't. I'll have to recalculate the sleeve cap (yikes!). However, I'm going to be smart about it... I'm going to knit the second sleeve to the sleeve cap so I can either do them at the same time or back to back. I know that even if I take notes, I'll still not remember exactly what I did by the time I get to the second sleeve cap.

Meanwhile... I think I'll start looking at my vest patterns...

3 comments:

  1. Vests really are nice for avoiding a potential sleeve debacle. Do you have a reference book that you use for calculating sleeve caps? I'm taking a sleeve class from Lorna Misner next month which I'm looking forward to. I have some Starmores in my queue and would like to avoid the drop-sleeve look. Makes me look schlumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:22 PM

    Would going up a needle size on the Mermaid sleeves help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea to knit both sleeve caps in a row. I always think I'll remember all the slick changes I make, and then I never do. The only thing worse than math is math twice!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.