Tuesday, March 25, 2008

If I Had Only Known

So I'm happily plugging away on my Cables & Rib Cardigan. I'm really happy with it so far. I'm a wee bit concerned about the blocking (as acrylic yarns don't really block). The ribbing does pull it in quite a bit, so it's going to need to be blocked.

So I have the back done and I'm cruising on the left front. I had mentioned that I had would have loved to use the Cilantra that the pattern was designed for, but the pattern said I needed 20 skeins at $8/skein. That's just too much money for me to spend on a cardigan. However, I'm at the point I can sort of figure out how much yarn this would take. Knowing how much yarn is used in the back allows me to estimate the yardage for the rest of the pattern.

Looks like the pattern is off by about 1000 yds. That's a huge difference. According to the pattern I need 2720 yds. However, by my estimation on how much I used for the back, I'm actually only going to need 1720 yds. That's almost $60 in yarn that I wouldn't have needed.

That seems to be a little over kill on the whole "padded" yardage. I'm the first to not like to run short on a project... but to almost double the amount of yarn I actually need? That seems like a bit of a scam to me...

I'll give a final yardage usage when I'm finished with this... if I love this as much as I expect to, this might get knit again... in Cilantro (once I know how much yarn I actually need).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.