Thursday, December 20, 2007

How to be stupid with one's knitting

Just be cocky. Like, think you remember the cable on the second sleeve, even tho you finished it a while ago and did the fronts between sleeves.

Ike, with non matching cables on the sleeves
click to enlarge

Ya, so the cables don't match. I "reversed" them (switching the right and left crosses). Luckily, I did catch it and I'll just frog down the cables, not the entire sleeve. Hopefully it will be a quick fix, but sets my schedule back a bit. It won't be done in time for Christmas. It will be done this year, oh yes, it will be done!

I really want to get back to my Mermaid, but I'm waiting to finish Matt's Ike before I tackle restarting the sleeves. It "should" go quickly once I'm back to work on it... so to give me a mindless filler, I started a pair of Mermaid socks (the Lucy Neatby pattern from Cool Socks, Warm feet):

Twisted Mermaid Socks
click to enlarge

The yarn is from an Etsy shop called Twisted and she does some pretty neat self striping yarns. This colorway is called "Firefly", and while it's much more yellow than I expected, it looks so cool knit up. An other skein (in a pink/brown colorway) is on it's way to me.

Thanks for the comments about my year in review posts. Kristen did point out that I had a lot more hits than misses this past year, and I completely concur. The worse project was an old one that I just wanted to finish and done. The San Fran Pullover was a disaster, but it was old enough that I haven't learned to go with my instincts. I now basically stop a project if I don't think I'm going to like it. The San Fran was too far for me to do that (it only needed sleeves) so I figured that if it was horrid, I'ld just get rid of it (which is what I did). I also knew that I wasn't going to like the Natural Fair Isle Beauty, but Matt sure did. So it was a struggle to work on, but he really does wear it a lot. I don't blame the Newport Cardigan for my disappointment. I do love the sweater... I just can't wear it. I'm optimistic that one day I will.

So I think I've learned a lot over the years as far as knitting goes. I have no qualms anymore of abandoning projects that I don't think are working. I've learned more about what I actually wear and what suits my body (tho' the tight sleeve issue is becoming more and more of an issue. I don't think it's just me... I think it's the style right now... especially when I saw a 52" finished sweater with a 13.5" sleeve width?) I'm also hoping I'm getting better at adjusting the math to work for me. I've got to get better at the set in sleeve math, again, as that's very much the style right now.

Okay, I guess I'm off to fix a cable panel (ugh, is it too early for a beer?). I'll be posting my 2008 goals over the next couple of days (ya, those are always funny to go back and read...). I've got some very specific goals for the upcoming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.