I started a new quilt yesterday. Something special for Jake... more of a sleeping "pad" than a blankie.
I had planned on using the fabric I bought on Monday for the quilt so I could practice my quilting, but decided I just wanted to get it done, so I did a basic quick piecing pattern.
Ya, it was pretty quick alright. One day to cut, sew, quilt and even wash and dry it.
The photos aren't great (as usual), but here's a picture of the backing fabric:
I had one moment of panic when I thought the one way pattern of the dogs was going to be going in the wrong direction, but they ended up right. Oh, and black might not have been the best choice to mask dog hair... lol!
I used some old batting that I had taken out of a commercial comforter (Matt thought it was too warm) so it's nice and fluffy, just what I wanted for a sleeping pad. Not a batting I would use for something else.
This pattern was a lot of fun to make and I can see a lot of uses for it... especially for Project Linus. Some fun novelty prints (better batting) and a day's worth of work (or probably more like: 2 half days). The only problem is that I would want to make it a bit bigger for Project Linus, meaning I would need to cut longer strips (and therefore not cut it out by the width of the fabric) or do some extra piecing.
Jake's still not feeling very well. He's in a lot of pain. The vet put him on some medication, but we're not seeing it working as of yet. He cries every time he moves, can't do the stairs (and since we're in a split level... there's a lot of stairs) and he's very stressed (heavy panting and shaking). It's very frustrating, as I hate to see him suffer like this, but there's really not much more we can do. The inflammation will eventually go down and we're trying to keep him from too much movement so fingers crossed, he'll feel better in a day or two.