Monday, January 05, 2009

Stash

The projects are going to be limited for a bit, thanks to the stash going into Ravelry. However, the next few days look like overcast/rainy/winterymix weather, so I might get more knitting done (unless I'm distracted by Resistance or Gears of War).

The biggest issue I'm having with getting my stash in? Not casting something on with every single yarn I photograph:

Cotton Comfort

There's a reason I have so much yarn. I love it. I love it all. I think yarn is full of optimism. It can be so many different things. The choices of what I can do with a ball of string. A cardigan (probably). A pullover (maybe). Cables. Lace. Both. Let's face it... planning a project is almost as much fun as finishing it (and in some cases.. more fun!). Fortunately (?) most of my needles are in use...

I will say that an other drawback I've had with logging the stash (apart from the actual photography and my dependance on decent natural light) is the proof of how much I have. There's a dawning realization that not only will I never get around to using all of this yarn, but how to store all the finished projects (see the yarn forces me to be optimistic, as I still assume that I'm going to make something from what I have). However, right now I'm not thinking about destashing. I just want to get it logged in, then I might do an other destashing.

Some quick comment responses:
I got a question about my Rambling Shadows Jacket and the actual colors I used. I used Caron's Simply Shadows in Autumn and Caron's Simply Soft in Autumn Red.

Oh, and Linda, let me say that the reason I can knit so much? I don't work. I don't have kids. I barely do housework. I knit or play video games. I do make dinner. I occassionally throw in a load of laundry (which is fab... as it makes me feel very "housewifey", yet gives me a lot of time between loads to knit or play video games). So I do spend the bulk of my day knitting which allows me to be very productive... and I like having something tangible to show for what I did with my time. Which is one of the other things I love about knitting... it gives me something practical when completed. I think we've already decided that a girl just can't have too many green cardigans. Well, at least I'm going to keep going until I find what the number is for "too many".

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy playing in the stash! Being a yarn connoisseur is a valid hobby as far as I am concerned. I've been wearing the two hand me down sweaters I got from you during the holidays and I LOVE THEM. So beautiful and beautifully made. Thanks again for letting me enjoy them. They get lots of wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:54 AM

    I can imagine that your yarn stash is HUGE. Congratulations for that! Enjoy the process; think of it as cataloguing an art collection in your very own Ravelry museum.

    I've heard of Ravelry, but know almost nothing about it. I stopped working at the end of December, and have dove into my knitting again. (Like you, I like to be productive.) Sounds like I might like the site...

    Linda from Cali

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.