Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Some Knitting/Swatching

While I might be spending some, well okay, a lot, of time with Ratchet and Clank, I am still doing some knitting.

Matt's Gedifra sweater is 1/4 done... meaning that I have the back done. I've cast on the first sleeve, which I am adding some ribbing to. I'm a little concerned about the raglan shaping (which was not well written in the pattern at all), as I had to add a little armhole depth for Matt's more manly build (his biceps need room). I noticed several people on Ravelry that have knit this switched this to a seamless top down... which is brilliant. Oh well, it just might need some tweaking at the top to get a decent fit.... I might even have to do some (gasp) math.

Meanwhile, while I was working on the ribbing (on size 5 needles) I thought I would take the 6's to reswatch the Cotton Ease St. Brigid.

St. Brigid in Cotton Ease
click to enlarge

While I'm much happier with the density of the fabric and the measurements look good (prewashed/blocked and still on needles... not exactly accurate at this point), I'm not as much in love with it as I thought I would be. (ya, and don't go by color. Didn't feel like trying to correct it this morning). I have some Cascade 220 coming from Webs (it's the anniversary Cascade 220 stash building sale time again) and I might swatch one of the colors up in that.

I love the pattern, but I'm really struggling finding the right yarn for it. I think 'cause I know it's a once in a lifetime type project that I want it to be "perfect". I bought some of Alice Starmore's new yarn for it, but was disappointed in it (I find the yarn too thin and soft for decent cable "popping" and I chose a really dark color... close to the dark purple that's in the book and just wasn't happy with how the beautiful cables weren't really that noticable).

The Cotton Ease is close. The structure of the yarn (being very round) is giving me nice cable "pop" and the color is light enough to show them off, but for some reason I'm not sold yet. So I'll try the Cascade 220 (all of the colors I have in stash are fairly dark, but I ordered two lighter colors) and decide after I swatch it.

Of course, I could finish one of the many projects already started.... bwahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.