Monday, June 09, 2008

What's the name of that river in Egypt?

Did you ever have a project that you know isn't probably going to work for you. You know, the style is just not appropriate for your body... but ya just don't care. It's too beautiful NOT to knit.

Surplice Lace Top
click to enlarge

This project most certainly falls into that catagory. It's empire waisted, it's got a cross over front. I have *cough* a well endowed boosom.

I'm trying to compensate a bit for my large bustline by short rowing some bust darts... but with the cross over style, I'm nervous about how those short rows are effecting the neckline decreases. I'm not concerned about the modesty aspect... I knew when I saw it that I would wear a tank under it anyway (just as an FYI: they do not make "demi cup" bras in my size).

So I'm nervous about the short rows working, I'm not so sure that this style of top is gong to look good on me... but I really really don't care. Look at it. The lace is beautiful. The color is beautiful. I'm sure the finished top will be beautiful... on my dressform, right? Oh well. Don't care. I'm going to finish it anyway.

Meanwhile... I'm also working on a project for Matt. I started this a while ago for him (always dangerous. He swears he's not going to get any thinner. Uh. huh. He's said that before). Here's a photo of the completed back:

Man's Cardigan Vest by Melissa Leapman
click to enlarge


I'm almost halfway thru the left front (or is it right... should probably figure that out before I start neckline decreases, eh?). I'm using the pakucho cotton (color forest). Let me say that this yarn is yummy. About as yummy as yarn can possibly be. Now I "preshrank" it so I didn't have to adjust the pattern too much (I'm still knitting it a little longer just in case it shrinks up just a bit more) and I'm sure the prewashing helped to soften up the yarn. However, check out that stitch definition, too. Soft with stitch definition. You simply can't beat that.

The daily Mermaid update: I'm just about at the halfway point on the second sleeve. My goal is to finish it by the end of the month (and that "should" be easy enough to do... if I don't procrastinate on weaving in the ends on the body).

2 comments:

  1. The Surplice Lace Top is gorgeous! So I'm going to email you my measurements, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is gorgeous. Matt's sweater looks great too.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.